Moved Blog Site to Alohanoelle.Substack.com

Guam to Alaska Passage

To recap, our original plans were to be in Guam for 1 week then head on to Saipan, then Japan as we head our way north toward the Aleutian Islands (a 3 week sail).  Due to Covid-19 and the shutdown of country borders and mandatory quarantines we decided to sail straight to Alaska, a route very very few private yachts take.   A sailing friend of ours who left 2 weeks previous to our departure did not make it, and he fortunately was rescued by a US Navy ship before his yacht sank.    We did not think lightly of our sail plan in the Northwest Pacific Ocean knowing that the area is full of non-stop storms, big seas and cold weather. I was also concerned about potentially getting ‘sick’ after our departure.   We were very fortunate to not get sick with Covid and after 42 days at sea we can say we are 100% Covid-19 free (for now).
4,800 nautical miles later we have arrived to beautiful Kodiak Island.  A green jewel that is bursting with wildlife.   I was at the helm while I witnessed a pod of 6 humpback whales bubble feeding, tufted puffins and various other seabirds flying by welcoming us to land. Within about 15 minutes at the helm, our 6 week journey has already paid off in wildlife and nature to observe.    It was long, it was tough, it was scary and I mean SCARY!!! We sailed through 4 Gales, we had a collision with an unidentified object, and we did make a huge attempts to avoid storms which added another 5 days to our journey.   We ate very well on this trip and I did an outstanding job provisioning for this trip and beyond.   I had an injury earlier on the trip, a wave crashed and  threw me down on the helm, my chin took the impact.  I have been on antibiotics for 30 days to mitigate the pain from the infection brewing in my jaw/tooth.   We will have another bout of medical tourism coming up as I seek out an Endodontist in Anchorage.

Illimite leaving Guam

Beautiful Sunset at Sea

Blue Whale

We caught some plastic and 4 Tuna


Pacific White Sided Dolphin

Land Ho!  Kodiak Island

Green Green Green!

Humpback whales

Our marina that is really for fishing boats- no real amenities here

Made it to Kodiak!


Some video of our calm days.

Comments

  1. Wowwww!!! So beautiful 😍🥰🌊💙 I love the video! Thank you 🤦🏼‍♀️🥰😇 Be well. Happy Sailing ⛵️ 🥰🌊💙

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment