Moved Blog Site to Alohanoelle.Substack.com

Papua New Guinea- Ninigo Islands- Under The Sea

Diving in remote areas is NOT for the faint of heart.  I am pretty sure I have met sharks that have never seen humans before.   Our diving involves me going in first, I drop in next to the dinghy, my BC is tied to it and I put my gear on in the water.  I am the first one in every dive and I have a honed in six sense of when I am going to be greeted by sharks.   First it starts with the location, remote and deep (over 100 feet) and a feeling in my belly that says "danger".   Our first attempted dive of the day we had to charge sets of waves to leave the inner atoll and get to the outer reef and expanse of open sea.  The minute I dropped in I was being circled by several grey sharks (not my favorite).   I called out to Gary to hurry and get in!  We begin our descent and the sharks were close and circling.  To my surprise one of the gray shark swam up from below swam  and charged me, he came within 8 feet,  and yes I was scared, but then I thought Gary will sew me back up.  With this new sense of false courage I started taking photos, unfortunately the camera lens was on!  So no photos and we did abandon the dive as the visibility was poor, the sharks didn't leave and I was a bit anxious to get out.
Fragile Cardinal Fish

Bargill Cardinal Fish

Barred Trevally

Blenny White Spotted


Dascyllus Humbug Reticulated (white)

Long Finned Goby

Neon Damselfish


Nudi Hypselodoris Tryoni (exhibiting trailing behavior)

Peacock Razorfish

Threadfin Cardinal Fish

If you receive my blog via email click on the link to watch the videos
https://alohanoelle.blogspot.com/2020/02/papua-new-guinea-ninigo-islands-under.html


Cuttlefish


Reef Fish


Comments

  1. so good to see some healthy reefs! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment